Monday, June 1, 2009

Cookie of the Month mmmm...Strawberries

I love getting my monthly issue of Martha Stewart Living, as soon as I get it in the mail the first thing I do is flip to the back to see what the cookie of the month is. This month I was happy to see it involved strawberries (one of my favourite fruits). This cookie almost reminds me of a scone since it is very buttery and soft in texture. I loved this cookie and plan on putting it in my "keeper" file for future use. The original recipe says it yields 3 dozen cookies, I however only got 18, I guess mine were a bit bigger than Martha's.

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen (or in my case 18 really big cookies)

Ingredients:
12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 inch dice (2 cups)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Combine diced strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
-Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and remaining 7 tablespoons of sugar in a large bowl.
-Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
-Stir in Cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
-Using ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets.
-Sprinkle with sanding sugar and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes.
-Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
-Martha says "cookies are best served immediately", but I actually liked them better the next day cold right out of the fridge.




No comments: